Encompassing an area of 360,000 m2 along the picturesque coast between Ricasoli Point and Valletta's Grand Harbour, Smart City Malta offers a harmonious blend of office, residential and retail spaces, with one-third of the land set aside as open areas for all to enjoy.
Built Environments at Smart City Malta adhere to international sustainability standards. Smart City Malta is committed to sustainable development that will protect its environment and provide its inhabitants with comfortable, productive and healthy places for work and leisure.
A joint venture between the Government of Malta and Smart City of UAE, Smart City Malta will be home to a vibrant knowledge economy anchored by leading global, regional and local companies. It is set to become the leading ICT and Media cluster in the heart of the Mediterranean and the first European outpost of the global Smart City network.
The self-sustained township offers highly specified Grade A commercial office space, retail premises, café bars and restaurants, universities, medical centres and leisure facilities including 4&5 star hotels. There is a variety of residential accommodation from 1/2/3 bedroom apartments to town houses and detached villas.
The offices have been developed to the highest specification and can accommodate companies of all sizes ranging from small start-ups in 'Plug and play' units to global organisations. Taking multiple floors or even bespoke buildings.
Smart City Malta is situated in Kalkara, a small town on the eastern coastline just south of Valletta (Malta’s capital city), having views of the Grand Harbour. This location offers easy access to Malta's international airport, historic towns, marinas and beaches. Kalkara has an area of 1.8km2 and a populace of approximately 3,000 people. It is thought that the first people to visit Malta from Sicily had settled in Kalkara, as it is a location that has shelter from any storms that may have taken place by the sea.
Among the beautiful sea views, restaurants and amount of light at Smart City, the development boasts more than 103,000m2 of top-end office spaces that bring these commercial buildings at the top of international standards in the world. SCM01, SCM02 and SCM03 are office blocks that blend modernism with practicality.
The SDA has a one of its kind Laguna Walk, which is a dynamic area that offers visually appealing and convenient venues for local events. The Laguna Walk incorporates stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea and the infinity pool with grand terraces, colourful fountains, and modern steps. A few of the food and beverage outlets include the below:
- Bistro Ten-O-One
- Da Vinci
- Laguna Restaurant
- The Londoner Pub
Whilst the dining at SmartCity attracts locals and foreigners to relax by the sunset, the development is also a firm business location, with plenty of offices for companies. A few of these companies are:
- 8 Point Solutions Limited
- Döhle Malta
- Etirya Ltd
- Gaming One
- Global College Malta
- Heritage International Fund Services (Malta) Limited
- Impaqt Limited
- Johns Garage
- Liberty International Malta Ltd
- Malta Gaming Authority (MGA)
- Malta Information Technology Agency (MITA)
- MC Design & Build Ltd
- Perfin Services
- Prestige Malta
- Projet Noir
- PSG Fund Management (Malta) Limited
- Quinton Trust (Malta) Limited
- Razor Kings
- Stepping Stones Childcare Centre
- STK Europe (GLISTOCKISTI, CONSOLE PLANET AND ZAMILA)
The sustainability aspects to the development will be overseen by the U.S. Green Building Council and will benchmark the best practices adopted.
Fully LEED certified, the industry standard for Leadership in Energy and Environmental design, Smart City Malta is designed to reduce energy consumption by up to 18.5%, which ultimately results in significantly lower operating costs from Smart City Business Partners.
Special Designated Area
Smart City has been granted the status of being in a Special Designated Area (SDA) in Malta. Special Designated Areas are high-end developments that intend to offer high-end amenities and facilities within the same area as the property, such as marinas, supermarkets, restaurants, cafes, car park and spas. A Special Designated Area can be purchased in Malta without an AIP permit by locals as well as both EU citizens and Non-EU citizens alike.
There is no limitation on any person purchasing a property in a Special Designated Area, unlike buying a property in a non-Special Designated Area. This is one of the biggest reasons that expats travel to Malta to purchase property, and even more than one at times, since there are no restrictions which benefit said expats greatly with investments from profits of buy-to-let and capital growth. Some current Special Designated Areas include:
- Cottonera Development, Cottonera
- Fort Cambridge Zone, Tignè, Sliema
- Madliena Village Complex, Madliena
- Metropolis Plaza, Gzira
- Pender Gardens, St. Julians
- Portomaso Development, St. Julians
- Portomaso Extension I, St Julians
- SmartCity, Kalkara
- Tigne Point, Tigne, Sliema
- Ta’ Monita Residence, Marsascala
- Tas-Sellum Residence, Mellieha
- Fort Chambray, Ghajnsielem
- Kempinski Residences, San Lawrenz
- Network of opportunities
- The platform in Europe to network with market opportunities from North Africa, Middle East, India and Far East Asia
- Government Services
- One-stop fast delivery services on site from work permit arrangement to tax reclaim
- ICT Infrastructure
- The most advanced and robust ICT Infrastructure in the region, especially suitable for critical online operations that require business continuity
- Quality Environment
- An intelligent knowledge hub in a self-sustained environment overlooking the breathtaking Mediterranean shoreline
For more detailed information click here.